I. Application Qualification
1. Non-Chinese citizens in good health;
2. Age: The maximum age for applicants for master's degrees is 35; the maximum age for applicants for doctoral degree is 40;
3. Students participating in joint development programs and students studying in their native language or another third-country language or literature, such as English, French, are not eligible;
4. No other kinds of Chinese government scholarships have been obtained at the same time.
II. Scholarships and Standards
Exemption of tuition, school accommodation, and comprehensive medical insurance
Living allowance (RMB3,000/month for master’s students and RMB3,500/month for doctoral students)
III. Application Period
November 10, 2022 - February 15, 2023
IV. Application Procedure
1. The applicant must submit an application to the online application system of Tongji University (http://study-info.tongji.edu.cn/) before 23:59 (Beijing time) on February 15, 2023 for the Chinese Government Scholarship and pay the application fee. The online application system will not accept modifications or supplementary materials after the deadline.
Application fee: RMB600 (non-refundable)
① Online payment in the online application system;
② For offline bank or online bank remittance, the remittance voucher needs to be uploaded to the application system.
For payment accounts in China:
Beneficiary: Tongji University (同济大学)
Beneficiary Bank Account No.: 033267-00812000848
Beneficiary Bank: Shanghai Xiangyin Sub-branch of Agricultural Bank of China
Bank Number: 103290035039
Address: No.1128 Xiangyin Road, Yangpu District, Shanghai
For overseas payment accounts:
Beneficiary: TongJi University
Beneficiary Bank: Bank of China, Shanghai Branch Yangpu Sub-branch
Address: No.83 Chifeng Road, Shanghai, 200092, China
Beneficiary Bank Account No.: 433859245525
SWIFT Code: BKCHCNBJ300
2. After our review, the applicant's application status in the online application system of Tongji University becomes "Waiting for Admission";
3. The school will issue the electronic admission notification to the applicants who are "Waiting for Admission" in the application system;
4. After receiving the notification, the applicant should log in to the online application system for studying in China of China Scholarship Council (https://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/login) before 23:59 (Beijing time) on March 17 to complete the online application, and print the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (overseas study program type: B, Tongji University's organization code: 10247) (Please refer to the annex for the operation process and material list of the Chinese government scholarship application system.).
V. Application Materials
Note: You need to upload the electronic application materials in the application system. After admission, please bring the original paper application materials for verification when you report to the university. If you fail to submit the materials or they do meet requirements, your application will be rejected.
1. Chinese Government Scholarship Application Form;
2. Personal information page of your passport (with a validity of at least 6 months)
3. Graduation certificate and degree certificate of your previous study stage;
For a certificate in a language other than Chinese and English, the original notarized copy of the Chinese or English translation must be provided. The notarized copy must be issued by a Chinese embassy or consulate abroad, or a foreign embassy or consulate in China;
The original graduation certificate issued by the school of a new graduate needs to be provided. Upon admission, you need to bring the original graduation certificate for verification during registration;
4. Original or notarized transcripts of all courses in the previous stage;
For a transcript in a language other than Chinese and English, the original notarized copy of the Chinese or English translation must be provided. The notarized copy must be issued by a Chinese embassy or consulate abroad, or a foreign embassy or consulate in China;
5. Proof of language proficiency;
The application for a program taught in English is according to the requirements of the program brief.
To apply for a program taught in Chinese, you need to provide HSK transcript: HSK Level 5 certificate (total score ≥ 180 points) or above. (If the previous stage of learning was taught in Chinese, the HSK certificate is not required.)
6. Two letters of recommendation;
Original letters of recommendation from two associate professors or scholars with corresponding titles or above (the contact information of the recommender must be given).
7. Personal statement;
Please write the introduction according to the personal statement template (postgraduate) in the teaching language of the professional program (for example, the statement for a program taught in Chinese should be written in Chinese, and the statement for a program taught in English should be written in English). A doctoral candidate's personal statement should be signed by the Chinese tutor.
8. Physical examination form for foreigners (within six months) or a current valid Chinese visa.
9. Certificate of payment of registration fee;
When remitting through an offline bank or online bank, you need to submit a photo of the remittance voucher or a screenshot of online remittance;
This is not required for remittance through the online application system;
10. Other application materials.
For example, acceptance letter for international student, award certificates, and the admission notices of other universities
11. Supplementary materials for postgraduate students of the College of Design and Innovation (only required for applicants for relevant programs of the College of Design and Innovation)
Work portfolio or related achievements: limited to 20 pages, and each work must be marked with the time of creation, instructor, and owner of the work.
As the size of file uploads is limited, the applicant should fill in the relevant information according to the template of Supplementary Materials for College of Design and Innovation and upload the file to the Supplementary Materials column of the online application system.
We may require applicants to provide additional materials if necessary.
All application materials must be uploaded when applying online, and materials without corresponding items should be uploaded to the “Supplementary Materials” column.
VI. Review and Admission Process
1. Tongji University adopts a material review system for admission and organizes written examinations or interviews for each college. We perform evaluations according to the overall capabilities of the students and select the best candidates for admission.
2. After submitting the application, the applicant must regularly check the information and application status in the application system and complete each step strictly as prompted. If the follow-up process is delayed due to failure to check a notification in time, the applicant is responsible for the delay.
3. After the school submits the recommended list to the China of China Scholarship Council (CSC), the CSC will organize experts in relevant disciplines to review the applicants' academic performance, comprehensive capabilities, development potential, and other aspects, and select the best candidates for admission.
Applicants who have not been admitted will have priority if they are willing to apply for the self-funded programs of Tongji University.
4. The International Student Office of Tongji University will inform applicants of the admission results. You can also visit the “Notice” column on the website of Tongji University International Student Office (http://study.tongji.edu.cn/).
1. Accepted candidates must go to a Chinese embassy (consulate) abroad to apply for a study visa, with their ordinary passport, Tongji University Admission Notice, and the Visa Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (JW202). The candidates must take the above-mentioned materials and go to Tongji University to apply for admission at the time specified in the notice, and apply for a residence certificate in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau. Those who fail to report within the time limit without approval will automatically lose their student status as well as their scholarship qualification. You can visit the “Orientation” column of the school website for the admission instructions.
2. You need to participate in the annual review of scholarships as required. Those who fail in the evaluation will be suspended or disqualified from the scholarship.
3. In principle, the major and the study period cannot be changed.
4. Applicants who have applied to other universities in the Chinese Government Scholarship Management Information System should not apply to Tongji University.
VIII. Contact Information
Tongji University International Student Office
Address: Room 705, Comprehensive Building, No.1239 Siping Road, Yangpu District, Shanghai, P.R. China Postal code: 200092
Teacher in charge of the postgraduate program: Wang Ximeng firstname.lastname@example.org Tel.: 021-65988388
Enrollment Hotline: 021-65983611
1. Instructions for Applicants of the Chinese Government Scholarship Management Information System
2. List of Chinese Government Scholarship Application Materials