The Marine Scholarship of China for the year 2023 will be open for applications from November 10, 2022 to February 15, 2023 (with all the online procedures completed).
The Marine Scholarship of China is jointly initiated by the State Oceanic Administration (SOA) and the Ministry of Education of China (MOE) for the purpose of providing financial support to outstanding students from the coastal countries or regions around the South China Sea, the Pacific and the Indian Oceans and African developing countries to study in China for a master’s or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related specialties, cultivating advanced professionals of the related fields for developing countries, enhancing international marine cooperation and exchange, and promoting the harmonious ocean development in the region and around the world. China Scholarship Council (CSC) is in charge of the admissions and routine management of the Scholarship.
1. The applicant should be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality in good health, from a coastal/island country of South China Sea, the Indian Ocean, the Pacific and its surround island countries, or an African developing country.
2. The applicant for master’s degree studies is required to have a bachelor’s degree of related fields and be usually under the age of 40.
3. The applicant for doctoral degree studies is required to have a master’s degree of related fields and be usually under the age of 45.
Marine affairs related majors, including but not limited to:
School of Ocean and Earth Science, School of Environmental Science and Engineering UN Environment-Tongji Institute of Environment for Sustainable Development
School of Civil Engineering, College of Electronics and Information Engineering, School of Law, School of Chemical Science and Engineering
According to different education scheme for different degree programs, the duration for a master degree program is
2 to 3 years, the duration for a doctoral degree program is 4 years.
For more information, please refer to the website of International Students Office and individual Schools or Colleges of Tongji University.
Scholarship and Fees
1. The duration for a master degree program is 2 to 3 years with scholarship support of 2 to 3 years, and for a doctoral degree program 4 years with scholarship support of 4 years.
2. Scholarship owners enjoy free tuition fee and other material fees, and will be provided with free accommodation and necessary medical services. Living allowances for the students are 3,000 RMB per month for master students, and 3,500 RMB per month for doctoral students (the same standard with other Chinese Government Scholarship).
3. For Chinese-taught master program, applicants should have passed HSK 4 test with score higher than 200. If the applicant doesn’t have valid HSK score, one-year Chinese language training will be required and the Scholarship will be extended for 1 more year accordingly.
4. The longest period of Marine Scholarship of China support is 4 years.
Enrollment Procedures (Also see the Appendix below)
Applicants should finish the online application through the website of China Scholarship Council (CSC) with required information filled, and finish the online application at Online Application System of Tongji University. The two systems open till February 15, 2023.
1. CSC Online Application System for Chinese Scholarship: https://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/login
2. Tongji University Online Application for International Students system: http://study-info.tongji.edu.cn
(This system will be open till February 15, 2023. Please start to prepare other application documents and check the system.)
1. All the electronic copies of application materials listed in the Appendix shall be sent to the email address below.
2. Please make sure you have received admission from a supervisor from the University and know what major you will be taking before applying.
3. Please check your contact email and online application account regularly.
Review and result
Applications will be given priority if related working experiences are included, or are recommended by senior professors or experts of relevant fields.
An expert panel review will be organized by Tongji University to make a nominee list based on the applicant’s educational background, academic capability, research achievements, opinion from supervisor and related working experience, and the list will be reported to the State Oceanographic Administration of China and China Scholarship Council for final approval.
Final results of the Scholarship will be released around May 2023. The Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201) will be sent out to the awardees as soon as possible.
Contact and Mailing Address
Ms. LIU Pengfei
Address: School of Ocean and Earth Science, Tongji University
Room 211, Ocean Building, Tongji University, 1239 Siping Road, Shanghai, 200092, P.R.C
For more information, please visit our website of International Students Office of Tongji University: study.tongji.edu.cn